The Science Of Today Is The Technology Of Tomorrow

Quadruped Robot Tutorial

  Quadruped Robots:  



(** this tutorial has been made on the request of Алексей Киреев or Alexey Kireev) 

           Kindly note: this is not a detail step by step tutorial. So if you want a detail step by step tutorial please let me know in comment section.

          Legged robots are a type of mobile robot which use mechanical limbs for movement. They are more versatile than wheeled robots and can traverse many different terrains, though these advantages require increased complexity and power consumption. Legged robots often imitate legged animals, such as humans or insects, in an example of bio-mimicry.
           Quadrupedal or four-legged robots exhibit quadrupedal motion. They benefit from increased stability over bipedal robots, especially during movement. At slow speeds, a quadrupedal robot may move only one leg at a time, ensuring a stable tripod. Four-legged robots also benefit from a lower center of gravity than two-legged systems.

___________________________­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­________________________

            So the quadruped robot that I have made have 3D printed Body parts.
The 3D file you can get from the URL that is given below at the end of this tutorial.
Also the code is copied from one of the other sites. But since the robot body and the codes are from two different projects so it never work well at all.
So I went through couple of modification and finally get to walk the quadruped robot.
So let me share the details of the robot.


So here's the video of the quadruped robot if you haven't watch it yet.




And here is the wiring diagram:



And here is the power distribution to the motor:



Read the following it’s important and will save your money: 
    
        To power the robot you have to make a power distribution train for the 12 servo motors and also for the micro controller.  Some people power their robot from power bank. But I am powering them from a 2x 4.2 volatage Li On battery with a voltage regulator. I am using a dual LM317 as a voltage regulator, but it is not efficient and gets heat up very soon. So I suggest powering them from better source of power maybe a 7.1 Voltage Lipo battery with a voltage regulator.             I have done couple of testing to the quadruped robot that I have built. And it seems the stall current consumption of the servo motor that I am using is around 1 amps per motor. And also the servo motor SG90 is not very well and it often breaks inside, most of the times the plastic gears of the servo. So I suggest using MG90 servo motor. They are a bit more costly but worth the price since they have metal gears inside. I have around 10 of the SG90 servo motors broken during the course of making this robot.
Afterward I bought some MG90 motors and replaced them. Now the gear inside the motor doesn't break and also it seems to provide more torque.

      Also I have cut the tip of the leg in my robot because the pointy design of the robot was not helping it walk due to less friction. So what I did was cut the tip of the robot and put a rubber sole on the base of the tip. Due to that the robot walks smoothly and without much slip.

I have made the servo shield myself but if you really want an efficient power distribution I suggest buying some good servo shield with buck booster.

So that's all and thank you.



Watch the making video here:


____________________________________________

Here's the 3D file for the quadruped robot I have built:

And here's the code for copy and paste:
and don't forget to install the timer library it will be available on arduino.cc



From here you can buy the required component for this project:

Arduino Nano:
 BUY HERE


Servo Motors:





Quadruped Robot Tutorial Quadruped Robot Tutorial Reviewed by Unknown on November 17, 2017 Rating: 5

9 comments:

Powered by Blogger.